Livestream

Monday, February 1, 2016

The Best Online Options for Chicken Information IMHO

The internet has been a godsend for information for those of us who love to learn and figuring out how to start my backyard chicken coop has been no exception.I have definitely purchased a few books, but that's another post. Today is about what I'm getting from the net.

I have three types of online resources I use the most: Facebook groups, independent websites, and forum discussions.

Bonnie, looking all glorious.
Let's start with Facebook groups. It is important to find groups that are about sharing and learning from each other, not the "my way or the highway" mentality. A group that reacts negatively towards other ways of doing things or even critically attacks (not disagrees with) posts doesn't interest me. I want to be able to have a discussion, agree or disagree, and learn from others.


Chicken Enrichment in a Coop Environment (CECE) may be my favorite. It's large enough to get quick responses on nearly any topic, but not so large your post gets quickly lost in the stream. I've emailed a couple of times with admins on this group and gotten quick and positive responses as well. I've also seen people disagree or comment about different approaches with no drama. I love that.

Chicken Keeping 101 (101) is another one I check daily. This one is much like CECE, although I think it focuses a little more on learning. CECE has a socialization aspect, which I like, but it may not be what you're looking for. I saw a troll handled very well on this page once as well. They don't tolerate attacks or blatant negativity. It's about discussion.

This is Gypsy, just wanting to be left alone.
Backyard Chickens (BC) is another excellent group, however, it's really too large to create a post and get a response. Either you'll get tons or your post will get buried quickly. I like to read this one and see what folks are doing with their chickens though. Also, it's such a large group I easily see people from Kentucky, which is nice. I really like connecting with locals as much as I can.

A forum is a great way to get opinions quickly. Backyard Chickens (BYC) has tons of information, but the forums are my favorite part. They go back several years - at least 8 - and the shared opinions provide all sorts of perspectives. Then you can pick and choose what works for your situation. I have yet to have searched the forums here and Not found something on a topic I'm curious about. I may not get a final answer, but there's always someone else wondering and asking as well. This is a great way to see how many others, just like us, there are out there.
Pearl, not wanting to be interrupted.

A great site for learning is The Chicken Chick. She doesn't have a forum, but there are plenty of comments on all her articles. She covers just about everything also, including her personal experience with local laws and owning chickens. One thing I love about her is that she frequently and quickly responds to comments on her posts for further explanation or clarification. She is definitely genuinely invested in making sure chickens are cared for properly and safely. Her Facebook page is a great option as well.

These are the sites I frequent to most, without question. I would love to hear of how you use online resources in the comments below. I love continuing to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment